Friday, November 11, 2011

So Much Has Happened

  My baby was born 11-8-11 at 9:44 AM at 20.5 inches long, 8 lb. 15 oz via C-section.  He is SO sweet and cute.  We are SO in love with him!

  Labor was unexpected and did not turn out they way it should have or expectedly.  My water broke at 7:30 PM on 11-7-11.  It is likely I had a slow leak, but that was the biggest gush I had.  My contractions started at 9:30 PM and progressed all night until unbearable and ~5 minutes a part by 4 AM I signed in at the hospital.  By 9:30 AM we began talking about a change in birth plan.  I ended up with signs of infection, an irregular labor pattern, the baby changing positions and getting stuck on my bones, the baby ended up in distress with cord compression from certain positions, dilation did not progress passed 3 cm.  I was in so much pain and so feverish that I did not really have time to contemplate the C-section I had to experience.

  It took 5 injection sites of local anesthetic before they found the spot to put the epidural.  They had the baby out within 4 minutes of the epidural going into place.  I was very nauseated and they gave me some great meds that prevented me from getting sick.  I had too low of blood pressure and they corrected that as well.  I had muscles spasms in my neck and shoulders during the C-section as a result from the pain and position I was in during the contractions that did not have a break in between them.  It was constant contractions that did not give me a break at the end.

  The baby did not scream right away and when he did it was weak and clouded.  He had aspirated amniotic fluid that turned out to be infected.  I was having chills and hot flashes during labor and that was a sign of infection.  As soon as they removed the baby, the placenta and the bag of waters, the source of the infection for me was removed and I no longer had infection or need of antibiotics anymore.  The poor baby, however, had aspirated fluid that was infected.  The chest x-ray revealed lots of fluid in his lungs.  They decided to wait 24 hours to take further bloodwork to see if the infection and fluid clears or if he needed to go to the NICU for treatment.

  He was a champ at nursing, but he was not getting anything yet so he was dehydrated, hungry and frustrated.  He is such a sweet and cooperative baby.  He did not open his eyes much as he was tired and fighting infection.  His bloodwork revealed an elevated CRP level and high white blood cell count.  This is when the snow was falling and some places between Hancock and Marquette MI got from 6-13 inches of snow.  The NICU team were dispatched, but in the time that it took for them to arrive in Hancock from Marquette another baby was born that was sicker than our baby.  The team then took that baby, who was tachycardic and had infection also, to the NICU.  Our baby had an IV placed, but it was not in the vessel and the antibiotics and fluid just built up into his leg instead of going into his blood stream.  He got infiltrate in his ankle and calf and it made the area really swollen and white.  It was preventing blood flow and oxygenation of that area.  They finally removed the bad IV and started on on his forearm.

  The poor guy also had to be on oxygen as he had labored and shallow breathing because of all the fluid in his lungs.  He would sneeze and yellow infected mucus would come out of his nose.  He then started looking more and more jaundiced over time as well.  Over the 3 more hours that another NICU team was dispatched from Marquette, they put a heat pack on his ankle and the area finally pinked up as his blood flow improved.  That leg then became 2 times the size of the other leg from the fluid trying to disperse.  He is such a trooper.

  He has lots of hair and is very handsome.  He loves to be held by mom and dad and seems to recognize us.  The poor thing did not have a name until right before they came to take him away.  We quickly decided between the 3 names we were hemming and hawing over.  Adam Michael Sarazin it is.  I was beside myself with grief and worry at the thought of my sick baby, not being able to go with him as he left in the ambulance and at the unknown if he will get better or not.  This did not help my massing swelling in my hands, calves, thighs, whole body really.  My incision site hurts and any engaging of the abdominal muscles is just painful.  The contracting of the uterus is crampy and aching as well.  My low back hurt from the muscles and the multiple injections that they administered.  The hardest part was getting in and out of bed.  The transfer of my legs took the most abdominal effort.  I can walk slowly.

  The trip to Marquette, usually 2 hours, took the ambulance 3 hours to get to Hancock because of the blowing heavy snow.  It took 1 hour to get from Marquette to Ishpeming on their way there.  It took almost that long to go back to Marquette.  I was glad they came and made it safely.  I had to wait to be discharged the next day.  I talked to my sister until 1:30 AM and finally succumbed to the exhaustion and slept until 7:30 AM.  I was falling asleep pumping the night before.  I pumped again in the morning and achieved 1.5 ml of fluid.  Meager, but a start.  I showered for the first time in 3 days, packed up my bags after eating breakfast and they agreed to discharge me early.  I was so excited to go to be with my family.  I missed my baby so much.  I could still feel his head resting in the crook of my elbow.

  My mother-in-law came to pick me up and while she and Rejean (Nikki's husband) loaded up all of my bags and gifts Re dropped one bag and shattered a picture frame gift that came from his step mother-in-law.  We went quickly back to my house to get clothes, cloth diapers and necessities.  We were on our way by after 111:30 AM.  We made it to Marquette on pretty clear, slightly rutty roads without any blowing snow or rain.  I was so swollen and tired, but so excited when I got there.  She wheeled me around to find the place of the NICU.  I arrived just in time to see my baby for 5 minutes before they kicked us out for master rounds.  He took my milk and they decided to supplement for him as he is starving and dehydrated.

  We went to eat lunch (at 3 PM) at the cafeteria.  We made it back a little after 4 and I was able to hold him.  I held him on and off while we changed his diaper, checked his vitals and we got to bath him.  He is so precious.  He is also very sore from being a constant pin cushion.  He is such a trooper.  I hope he hangs in there.  He would not latch on after the supplemental feeding, but I am optimistic that he will today.  It must be difficult with a feeding tube in your mouth and down your throat.

  I did not get to pump as Tony was exhausted and went back to the Beacon house early.  I called Erika and she picked me up and took me back to the house.  She was teary dropping me off and I really appreciated seeing her.  We finally go some alone time and Tony got to change from the same clothes he wore for 3 days.  He got to shower and went right to sleep.  I slept for 3 hours then 4 hours as the next door little boy kept waking up and crying.  The parents were yelling and swearing at the poor guy.

  My milk is coming in.  My breasts are hard and sore.  I need to get to my baby!  I miss him so much.  When I look at his face I feel I've known him for a long time.  I have deja vu like I've met him before.  He is so precious.  I had no idea I could love so much so fast.  He is just meant to be, the light of my life.  Wow, I miss him so much.  I plan to spend the whole day just loving on him and thinking about him.  I want some kangaroo time today.  I have now woken Tony and we can get ready to go see our baby.

  I am grateful for the Beacon house and for the Marquette NICU.  Please, baby Adam, get better my sweet.  I hope there is better news today.  I took my pain meds and ate a cookie so I won't get sick on an empty stomach.  Updates to follow.
Adam, poor thing looks so jaundiced, he gets a blue bili blanket

No comments:

Post a Comment