Monday, January 31, 2011

Movies of the week: The Rite and Despicable Me *Spoilers*



  The Rite was amazing. Anthony Hopkins was excellent as always.  He really knows how to creep me out.  I do not like horror films and purposefully avoid them typically.  I tend to have vivid and scary dreams that seem very real to me.  I cannot tolerate any of that horror business, especially right before bed, but it is best avoided anyway.  I have enough negativity in my life.  I do not need to upset myself further.  This movie, however, had spiritual and larger than ourselves implications that really was touted to be based on true events.  Those movies tend to move me further than usual and can be disturbing depending on how much I read into them.  This movie really hit on a topic that I was thinking about before and now having seen the movie believe even more that you cannot control everything.  I will be better off not trying to control or worry about all the possibilities that could befall me.  Also, to not put myself close to or involved in experiences that could get me into troubles of my mind.

  This movie did end rather abruptly, but I am certain the movie makers did not want to draw it out.  They could have done a time lapse, but I guess decided against it.  The through time lapse, with possibly weeks or years passing, could have made the difference as to the believability of the story being based on real events.  Sometimes the strength of the belief and timing of a revelation can be very powerful and make all the difference.  Despite the other main character's performance, the movie still resonated with me.  The knowing of the unknowable would be disturbing in any setting and especially if I ever experienced it first hand.  Happily I do not resonate with those things on purpose so I do not want to attract them.  Believing in them and from my own experiences, I know enough that I do not want to get involved with the demon/devil/possessions on earth.  No thanks.  This movie does inspire me to go to Rome though.  Beautiful old city.  Old and new, spiritual and secular, beautiful and decrepit, romantic and scary, mysterious and a well documented open book.  Quite a combination all in one place.  Awesome.

  Despicable Me, on the other hand, is one of the cutest movies I have seen for a while.  It was definitely my kind of humor.  This was much better than the latest Toy Story edition we watched in an IMAX theatre.  The love of unicorns and fuzzy stuffed animals is the best.  I liked the kindness, innocence and Dave Carrell humor that this movie offered.  I think the voices were well cast and the action of the storyline was interesting and moving enough that I wanted to watch to see the ending.  I also liked the music filled dancing ending too.  I definitely want my arch enemy to end up saying, "Oh, poop" while ending up on the moon.  I also want all of my minions.  Ah, the minions that could help me get whatever job I have done.  Margo, Edith and Agnes are all names I would like to see re-popularized for the next generation of baby names.  Edith is like my niece, Cece, to me.  Her character had a hard to resist quality that is very inquisitive and unpredictably funny and possibly troublesome at all times.  I like that one of the girls has glasses and one will not take off her pink hat.  The scene of the moon at the end is great.  Looking at the moon is awe inspiring of itself, but with someone you love makes the moment most magical.  I like the Gru light puppet too.  Hah.  Good music in the beginning credits and after movie fun with the credits really are good sellers for me to like a movie better.  It is a part of why Twilight did not flop as a movie, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment