Monday, January 17, 2011

Sleeping in

  As a kid I thought often about how great it would be if I could just sleep in every morning and not worry about waking up to rush off to start my day.  It used to be impossible to wake up sometimes with unconscious arms pushing the waker off or just not moving.  Now, since a perfect storm of circumstances has made it so that I am able to set my own schedule and daily routine, I find myself not able to go to sleep at a reasonable hour and waking up later and later during the day.  I'm finding this schedule not to my liking, contrary to my little self that used to yearn for it.  I do not have a productive day when I wake up late and the day seems so much shorter.  Days that start late, end early and do not feel as full as they possibly can be.
  When I wake up in the morning at a "normal" time, I feel that the day is filled, productive and all the potential can be squeezed out of a 24 hour period.  Living life to the fullest is definitely something that I want to strive for every day.  It's amazing what a difference a few hours makes in the grand scheme of things.  That kid that just wanted to sleep and sleep and then stay up late at night was better off forcing herself to get up in the morning.  This lead to all the accomplishments I have achieved so far in life.  Without waking up bright-eyed in the morning, I would not be where I am today.
  I am not a coffee person, I do not need to watch the news or workout right when I get up.  I like to wake up, eat and head off to start my day as I am at my best shortly after I wake up.  I just want to start the day running.  What an exciting prospect of have such a unforgettable gift of a few more hours to live life without missing it because I am still sleeping.  What is difficult for me is my lightening fast reflexes that hits the snooze button after the first beep.  This means I can hit the snooze button too quickly to the point that 6 times that I have hit the button can go by and I will not realize that.  One hit equals 9 minutes!  That is a long time to keep sleeping and time that is lost.  I need my eight hours, but I can sleep for up to 14 hours sometimes.  Ridiculous!  My body has to be refreshed by now.  It is time to power up with exercise that exhausts me and to quiet my mind right before bed.  Ah, I can feel the success and fullness of my day coming already.
  Starting tonight, I am using my melatonin supplement with reading my book and heading off to dreamland about whatever this curve ball throws at me at a reasonable time.  Positive thoughts thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment