Friday, September 9, 2011

Entertaining and Tour Guide this week

32 weeks along

  I have been having abdominal tightness that I thought was Braxton-Hicks contractions, but since they last over 20-30 minutes at a time and do not shorten in time nor increase in intensity. They are not contractions.  They are either the abdominal muscles tightening or digestive related.  Any way I look at it, they are not painful and they do not indicate pre-term labor.  I am happy not to have high blood pressure, nor gestational diabetes.  The baby was not kicking very much when my stomach was tight and we think he just had limited space for such things.  When my belly is soft and relaxed the baby is kicking like a champ.  It is really reassuring to hear that pitter patter of a heartbeat on the doppler at my appointment.

  I had a massage today and it was the best timed appointment.  My neck has been stiff the last 2 days and my hip spasms are the worst than they have ever been.  My left side was so painful for the massage, my hip must be out of place.  I cannot wait to go to the chiropractor and get needle acupuncture once I have the baby.  It is coming up really soon and the anticipation and unexpected timing is better than Christmas!  I better get going on those chores I was waiting for better weather to complete. Now is the time.

  Friends visiting the Keweenaw we have not seen in ~7 years.  Playing tour guide was fun.  We went to Copper Harbor, Agate beach, McClain State Park, Chutes & Ladders, Quincy Mine, and our lake front property.  They made it to Canyon Falls, the Porcupine Mountains, the Quincy Mine tour and back to the Baraga campgrounds with their camper.  Good times.  I think they had a good tour and a fairly good time.  We hope they come back for more fun and more places to see in the Upper Peninsula.  It is great to spend time with like-minded people.  It really makes the conversation flow.  Too bad they didn't come one month later.  I cannot wait for fall.  The color change will be great.  Very fun to see them!

Karen and Christopher in front of the lift bridge

Karen, Phil, Tony hanging out at the property

Sunset with campfire for S'mores for the Monroy's visit
Childbirth classes 9 AM - 6 PM tomorrow!  I love the classes and am so glad Tony can come with me for them.  Good information and now that the time is almost upon us we will more easily remember the information as well.  Exciting and fun.  It will make for a long day though!
32 WEEKS

How my baby is growing:

By now, your baby weighs 3.75 pounds (pick up a large jicama) and is about 16.7 inches long, taking up a lot of space in your uterus. You're gaining about a pound a week and roughly half of that goes right to your baby. In fact, she'll gain a third to half of her birth weight during the next 7 weeks as she fattens up for survival outside the womb. She now has toenails, fingernails, and real hair (or at least respectable peach fuzz). Her skin is becoming soft and smooth as she plumps up in preparation for birth.

How my life is changing:

To accommodate you and your baby's growing needs, your blood volume has increased 40 to 50 percent since you got pregnant. With your uterus pushing up near your diaphragm and crowding your stomach, the consequences may be shortness of breath and heartburn. To help relieve your discomfort, try sleeping propped up with pillows and eating smaller meals more often.
You may have lower-back pain as your pregnancy advances. If you do, let your caregiver know right away, particularly if you haven't had back pain before, since it can be a sign of preterm labor.
Assuming it's not preterm labor that's ailing you, you can probably blame your growing uterus and hormonal changes for your aching back. Your expanding uterus shifts your center of gravity and stretches out and weakens your abdominal muscles, changing your posture and putting a strain on your back. Hormonal changes in pregnancy loosen your joints and the ligaments that attach your pelvic bones to your spine. This can make you feel less stable and cause pain when you walk, stand, sit for long periods, roll over in bed, get out of a low chair or the tub, bend, or lift things.

No comments:

Post a Comment