Friday, January 13, 2012

Shots From Hell

  Since Adam's vaccinations last Monday, he has been a different kid.  He's been acting sick.  Spitting up larger amounts, feverish, cries more, will not eat without getting so worked up then having to calm down to be able to eat, sleeping shorter intervals during the day, eating less, not as active. I'm so angry about the nurse I cannot let it go.  I'm so worried about him now I cannot sleep. The nurse did a horrible job of administering the shots.  The needle was a 27 gauge or larger, huge and unnecessary needle about 2 inches long.  She shoved that in and I bet hit the bone.  He bled way more than he should have, I think she hit a vessel.  She did one leg and the blood ran down one side of his leg, she loosely put the bandaid on so it was worthless and was not stopping the bleeding.  Then she did the other leg.  Then came back to the already bleeding one and stuck it again with a similar result.  The blood was then running down 3/4 the length of his leg and she proceeded to walk out the door and say, "You're all set." She didn't even clean it up or wait for it to clot.  She could have at least applied pressure.  She should have done the other leg twice instead of the one that was already bleeding more so.  There has to be a smaller needle lumen that they can use for those shots.  It was ridiculous.  After the first one I should have stopped her.  It was like watching a car crash and being dumb struck.  I'm so not happy about it.  Poor guy.  From someone who is trained and gave shots for a living, she is not well trained and should not be working on infants for certain.  I will never let her come near my baby again.


  That being said, he is 14 pounds 10.4 ounces at his 2 month check up.  He is so tough, but fragile too.  He cannot fit so many of the clothes.  I have to go through the next drawer of sizes 6-9 months and launder them this weekend so he will have something to wear.  He is growing way to fast for me.  I cannot believe how time is flying.  I finally took down the Christmas tree yesterday and today.  He watched me the whole time.  This is because I was doing it in the wee hours of the morning as he insisted on being awake.  He has reverted back to only sleeping a couple hours at a time and staying up all night now after his shots.  This has really set us back.  I am noisy and play with him during the day, but I need to sleep too.  What a vicious cycle.  He writhes in his sleep, trumpeting and blowing raspberries.  I wonder if he's getting good sleep or if he's a light sleeper.  I cannot tell.


  I thought I got through this experience unscathed, but I am just now developing the only stretch marks that I got from this pregnancy.  They are not pretty and not in a flattering location.  Sad face.  Oh well.  It was bound to happen.  Just one more thing on the list of becoming a mother that marks the occasion.  My C-section scar is slowly getting less numb/tingling/painful.  As long as I keep the shea butter on it, I'm good.


  For the nursery, if I had to do it over again, I would have put a oversized chair or love seat in that room instead of a changing table.  Live and learn.  Also, I would have put shelves up before the baby was born, now I have a feeling they will not be put up.  I would like more than one outlet in the entire room also.  Yes, that is right.  I said only one outlet for the room.  All the things I want to plug in are not possible: night light, 2 lamps, baby monitor, hair dryer as needed, CD player, etc. Oh well.  Maybe in our new house in the future we can do that.  I love the closet organizer we bought, but now I have to stock it with the next size of clothes as I took out all the ones that he does not fit, which was 3/4 of the clothes that I lovingly hung up before he was born.


  I went to the Atlas Chiropractic Center for 3 appointments now.  I have to say that they are the least invasive and the most effective chiropractor I have ever experienced.  Now if only I can coordinate them with massage and acupuncture I will be all set.  I am having terrible numbness from just supporting his head to feed him.  Also, where my latissimus dorsi attach on both sides have been torn or traumatized to the point of muscle spasms when I'm just sitting or standing doing nothing.  They are on fire when I try to exert strength to hold him.  I am trying my Moby wrap and baby Bjorn carriers at home now.  With practice I will use them going out so I don't have to carry the too heavy car seat.


  I finally went out with Adam on my own to run errands and found the car seat with him in it to be unmanageable for me.  He is way too heavy already.  With all the gear and bags on top of it, the winter makes it difficult for me to go places on my own.  Now that he is spitting up more as well I need the diaper bag at all times loaded with spit bibs, diapers and outfits.  He also cannot stand when his diaper feels wet.  He will scream as soon as it reaches an intolerable limit for how full the diaper gets.  He had 4 diaper changes in between one feeding today.  Incredible.  I cannot wait until Spring!  I want to walk without ice or snow and not have to drive somewhere in doors to go for a safer walk.  One that I can use the stroller.


  He cut up his face in 6 places over the last 2 days and no matter how often and how I feel I have gotten all the sharp edges, he keeps cutting himself.  He just scraped his bed and I can hear the sharpness from across the room.  Sad to look at the cuts all over him when I know it is my responsibility and they are preventable.  He fights me, but I do file them every other day.  Oh man. I know his diaper has to be full right now.  I am just waiting for him to give me a signal and I can change him and try laying back down again.  


  Sometimes there is nothing I can do and he will only fall asleep in his swing.  The swing is closer to the floor and by an external wall of the house which makes it cold.  He insists most of the time on kicking off his blanket so if I fall asleep he gets really cold, but he will sleep through that.  Odd.  I can keep replacing the blanket until he is so sleeping he does not kick it off, but it is rare he keeps it on.  Now I have taken to putting him in a long sleeve onesie and a sleep sack that I have altered so he does not need the blanket to be warm.  That said, he is getting so active he is at the point where I have to strap him in.  He writhes and arches his back and I fear he will just take a header out of the chair.  With the sleep sack on, I cannot strap him in.  Catch 22.  


  Wow, that wind is really blowing.  Already a foot of snow has fallen, but the wind is taking over.  I cannot believe this storm.  It could be worse, and we need the snow for tourism.  Glad I can stay in doors with Adam.  I am glad we can just take our time and let him heal.  I hope he turns around and does not need the Tylenol soon.  I don't blame him for being out of sorts.  I just hope he can rebound in his own time.  No visitors this weekend like I had planned.  That is ok.  I can have time to work on his baby scrap book and get pictures downloaded to print.  I can rearrange the freezer to accommodate the milk organizer, back up my hard drive, take a thank you gift over to the neighbor and clean the floors after doing some laundry.


Taken days before the shots

Also taken a week before the shots

No comments:

Post a Comment