Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Traveling is really about laundry

  I have probably 7-8 loads of laundry to do before I can go on any trip.  I have to leave the house clean and in good shape for when we get back or in worst case scenario, if we do not make it back.  I realize this is a bit morbid, but I do not want my mother-in-law going through my house and commenting the whole time what a dirty mess it is.  Also, then things are done and organized for when we get back.  Getting back from a trip means more laundry.  All the dirty clothes that you bring back in your suitcases and all the new clothes you bought while you were there.
 
  I think that I pack lightly, but when it comes time to getting home and doing the laundry I realize that just is not the case.  I cannot imagine those that actually check bags on trips.  Their laundry must be double or triple the amount that I do as I only carry on a bag.  I do not mind doing laundry.  It is not a real big chore to me.  I can usually get things folded no problem.  Sometimes they sit in one spot folded for a couple of days before they get put away, but no harm done that way.

  I think days in advance what I will pack and how much liquid toiletries I will take.  I make a list and check it twice.  I print directions, tickets and receipts with confirmation numbers on them.  I get the trash out, the mail stopped, the insurance checked for rental car coverage and arrange for someone to get our papers for us.  I think it's down to an art now.  I cannot imagine those that travel weekly or bi-monthly as all of this would have to be done all the time.  I can imagine that those people have to have maid service or some help.  I do not have that kind of help so the job falls squarely on me.  I'm the planner.  I hope to take a trip soon.  This would be great as I have earned some sunshine in a warm clime.   At least my sinus headaches have lessened the last 2 days.  Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment