Friday, May 20, 2011

Let the fluttering begin

 Oh I knew there would be a day that this whole having a baby growing inside of me would become real and I believe that day arrived May 18th 2011.  I felt the movement or what most call a "flutter" in my belly while sitting in this very chair, typing on this very computer.  It actually took my breath away.  It surprised me and I did not know what to think.  I immediately went out to the shed/garage where Tony was working and told him.  He, with his bright eyes, glowed and kissed me.  So fun.

  That night, when I laid down to go to sleep, I again felt that same movement as I did before when I was laying on my back.  It seems this baby has been firmly rooted in my body from the start and this was meant to be.  The next day I went to my next doctor's appointment.  I measured right on time for size and weight.  The doppler is the most fun and exhilarating part.  Hearing the heartbeat is just the most definitive sign to me that the life that has started inside of me is beating to it's own drum and is thriving. 

  Today, the fluttering lasted multiple minutes, rather than a fleeting moment.  On and off multiple times.  I know this will just progress to be more frequent and intense through time.  Just the "beginning" as though these last 16 weeks have just been a peek or precursor. Every symptom in the book is now narrowed down, but at least lessened.  Other symptoms are here to stay, but are no less intense.  Fun stuff.

  My throat hurts and I do not feel like doing anything on this glorious, 75 degree, sunshiny, blooming fantastic day.  I want to go out and play, but don't feel like it.  I plan to force myself to go grill food out at the property tonight.  How fun.  I want to muster the energy to take a walk.  I cry at the drop of a hat, this Grey's Anatomy season finale is just pushing my buttons.  Ugh.  Ha ha. 

16 WEEKS

How your baby's growing:

Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop.

How your life's changing:

The top of your uterus is about halfway between your pubic bone and your navel, and the round ligaments that support it are thickening and stretching as it grows. You're probably feeling a whole lot better as you settle into pregnancy, too. Less nausea, fewer mood swings, and "glowing" skin contribute to an overall sense of well-being.

1 comment: