Sunday, May 6, 2012

Baby Rules

  OK, when visiting public settings I wish I could instill 4 basic rules for my baby.  These, I feel, are simple, reasonable and easy to remember.
1- Do not put your fingers in his mouth ever.
2- Do not kiss the baby on the lips.
3- Do not feed the baby food without my knowledge.
4- No sharing of utensils, cups or plates with others.

These are cavity and illness prevention measures as well as health related.  I want, as he is my first baby, to prolong his lack of exposure as long as possible and prevent problems in the future if I can help it.  It gives me peace of mind and makes me happy.  I'm sure Adam appreciates a happy mom.  Now if I can tell my babysitter and my young cousins this it would be good.  Tough to explain to young ones though.  Ah, trying to keep my boy cavity free will be a challenge.  One I hope to conquer though.

No one is born with the bacteria that causes cavities.  It is acquired in the early months to years in life.  The earlier you acquire the bacteria the more severe and early developed cavities can be.  The later you acquire the bacteria the less severe or more likely that you will not get cavities in your lifetime is possible.  There are different strengths of the bacteria, strong nasty varieties that cause fast and large cavities or the weak variety that the cavities are preventable through good eating habits and hygiene.  The bacteria is acquired like the common cold, through passing from others via transfer through sneezing, sharing utensils, hands to the mouth, sharing drinks, etc.  If you can prevent this, then you can prevent the transfer.  This is a difficult task, but many people get through childhood without this problem.  These days, it is less common, but I hope to guard against it for a couple years at least.  In the least I can hope he gets a weak form of the bacteria and can develop good habits.  He already loves brushing.  I hope that lasts a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment